Everyone knows breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why do so many of us skip it? I used to be one of the many who would have way too many things to do in the morning to remember to eat breakfast. Once you're used to it its no big deal, right? Wrong!
My senior year of college, I finally started eating breakfast. Since then, I've learned that breakfast helps me eat healthier throughout the day, and keeps me much more satisfied. I have never been an early riser, so I had to find ways to make quick breakfasts that were yummy, healthy and sustainable throughout the day. Some of these are so easy, you won't believe it until you try it for yourself! And once you do, you will see that you no longer have any excuse to skip breakfast (or let your kids eat pop tarts anymore). Say hello to healthy eating and a happier healthier you!
1) Egg in a Mug Sandwich: Microwave an egg or 2 in a mug, either scrambled or not, for 30 seconds and place on a toasted whole wheat English muffin. Add cheese or bacon if you like.
2) Oatmeal: This is a healthy, fast meal that you can easily jazz up with your favorite fruits or spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. The fiber in oatmeal will keep you satisfied all morning.
3) Greek yogurt parfait: Add your favorite fruits or berries to Greek yogurt for a delicious and nutritious breakfast. You can even pre-make this the night before to save time in the morning!
4) Instant muffin in a cup: Choose your favorite muffin mix or homemade recipe and whip up the batter at night. Keep refrigerated until morning. Pour muffin batter into a paper or plastic cup, fill half way and microwave for 30 seconds for a perfectly moist muffin. Serve with fresh fruit for a complete meal. Batter should stay fresh for up to one week.
5) Grapefruit: One of my personal morning favorites; I always sprinkle a little bit of sugar over the top of each grapefruit half. This is good for a morning when you are not too hungry but need a little something!
6) Scrambled eggs with cheese: Scrambled eggs take only minutes to make. I usually use one egg and one egg white, to cut the fat and cholesterol in half. If I'm in a hurry I just scramble with Swiss or feta cheese, but if I have a little extra time I add more goodies like peppers, mushrooms, spinach, artichoke hearts, or whatever else I have on hand at the time.
7) Frittatas: Whisk eggs together and add whatever veggies you like. Pour into a small pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Frittatas are a fresh alternative from your daily scrambled eggs.
8) Cereal with fruit: Choose a healthy cereal, like any from the Kashi line, and add fresh fruit or nuts.
9) Fruit Smoothies: This is the perfect breakfast for a car ride commute to work. Take your favorite fruits like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries, and blend them with Greek yogurt. You can use fresh fruit and add ice or frozen fruit works well, too. Pour into a glass for a meal on the go!
10) Stuffed mini crescent rolls: This is a super easy one that all kids are bound to love! Take Pillsbury mini crescent rolls and lay them out on a cookie sheet. Fill them with jam, chocolate chips or cheese and roll them up. Follow cooking directions on the container and serve with fresh fruit for extra nutrients.
Please feel free to email us at TheCutieCooks@gmail.com with any questions!!
Special thanks to the fabulous Maggie Conner, follow her blog, TheHauteHoosier too!